An Easy Solution – Finding a stud to hang your Wall Portrait
DIY Tips & Tricks
You’ve made an investment in a family wall portrait. Now it’s time to hang it on the walls. Remember your Portraits are a work of art and the need to be treated as one.
You never want to just add a nail or screw to the wall and hope it’s secure enough to carry the weight of your portrait.
Ideally, you want to find a Wall Stud to secure your Portrait to the wall. If you can’t find one, or the stud is just not in the right place, simply use a set of dry wall anchor bolts.
Finding a Wall Stud:
Typically, Wall Studs are spaced 16″ apart on center. Typically…but I find that this is not always the case; however, it’s a good starting point.
- Measure every 16 inches from the end of the wall to the location you want to display your Family Portrait.
- Make a tiny x with a pencil on the wall.
- Take a magnet ( the heavier the magnet, the better) and slowly drag it around your wall. Starting in the area you marked with a small X.
- Move back and forth and work your way down the wall.
- When the magnet grabs hold of the wall, you have found a stud. The magnet is attaching to a nail in a stud.
- Mark your Stud
- Decide on the height to hang your portrait, using your stud as your guide.
- Mark your location with an O.
- Add a screw to the stud
- Proudly display your beautiful family’s wall portrait
What you Need:
- Measuring Tape
- Screw Driver
- Drywall Screw
- Framed Family Photo
There you have it – an easy solution to finding a stud to secure your Family Heirloom.
Haven’t had a family portrait taken in a few years? I hope you consider adding a custom Family Portrait Session to your must have list this year.
Give me a call, I’d love to chat with you about creating a special Family Portrait, just for you!
Maggie Messer Photography
Certified Professional Photographer
Proudly Serving Lago Vista, Leander, Cedar Park, Austin and the surrounding Central Texas Communities for 14 years.